Friday, February 20, 2009

With just one picture


I LOVE finding photos that I thought I had accidentally erased! I was going through all of the throngs of photos we have on the computer trying to organize and sort and came across this one of Ryan at 16 months. These photos had gotten stuck in with pictures of the Grants Pass rental. We always take pictures before we place a new tenet so we can have some sort of a reference point, in regards to damages and cleaning. Anyway, Ryan had a ball that day! "Helping" us install a new kitchen faucet, inspecting the insides of the dishwasher, navigating stairs for the first time etc. Funny how time flies! Just this one picture brought back so many memories. We had gotten back from NYC shortly after these pictures were taken. Brandon's medical school graduation was in NYC at the Lincoln Center. We didn't think Ryan would be able to sit through such a long ordeal and did not relish another long plane trip with him. (We had been to Hawaii just before that) So we left him with my In-Laws. I was a nervous wreck, that was the first time I had been separated from him. I was still nursing at the time so it was a crazy trip of running to graduation events and pumping on the go to keep up the milk supply. We managed to squeeze in a trip to Times Square and enjoy TEN dollar Cold Stone ice cream! (being the frugal people we are, we called that dinner) For some reason it was really important for me to bring Ryan back a "I heart NY" T-shirt..... Not just any T-shirt it had to be a "onesie". I have the hardest time watching my babies grow up! Maybe because they are such strapping kids and they start wearing a 2T at 12 months, they just grow too FAST! Anyway, I finally found a little shop that had what I was looking for, the shirt was only 24 months--but it was HUGE! Perfect.The next day we went to Conney island and ate a really sick "world famous Nathan's hot dog". We are still not sure what the hype is about,they cost like 6 bucks and taste horrible. (worse then a Dodger dog) Nobody beats Costco! Anyway, after throwing away the rest of our Nathan's we checked out the rides at Conney island. ALL of the rides look really old and scary, not safe at all. Most of them were being run by father time, not the most reassuring sight when you are contemplating a carnival ride. Then we saw the "Cyclone" it was either the worlds biggest or the world's oldest wooden roller coaster. I can't remember now. As soon as I clapped eyes on it I was wishing I had Ryan with me so I could bow out and not have to ride that death trap! Brandon LOVES roller coasters, he grew up in So. California and spent many summers at magic mountain and the like. I knew I was in trouble when Brad spied the Cyclone! Suffice it to say we purchased tickets and went through the gate. Father time shuffled over to strap us in and we were off. I'm permanently traumatized from that ride. I have NEVER been that scared before in my life! The bar that held us in our seats was loose and kept flying up even though we both had a death grip on it. The coaster felt very rickety. I just kept thinking this is how I'm going to die....and nobody knows what our wishes are in regards to our son! I had a serious panic attack high in the air on all of those hair pin tuns. The only thing that makes this experience okay is the fact that Brad has never wanted to go on another coaster! I think he was just as scared as me. Our ears always perk up when we hear Conney Island in the news--we are just waiting for them to say they had to tear that death trap down after some one was hurt or killed!

No comments:

Post a Comment